Survival Tool Essential List- 14 Tools You Should Always Have in Your Pack
Whenever you are thinking of survival, always think special forces, they can handle anything, throw them out in the air, release them in the water, subject them to close combat, survival in the jungle, desert arctic for weeks, make them fight with knives, rifles or bombs, they will find a way. Some are even medics, engineers, and IT specialists in the middle of all this.
They say your greatest asset is your brain. Learn to mitigate the situations that require extreme survival techniques in the first place but always be prepared for the unforeseeable.
Being prepared means equipping yourself with the tools that will give you a chance to survive all situations like the special forces guys. We have compiled our list based on availability, functionality, and consideration of emergency scenarios.
Fire has many crucial applications for survival; it enhances safety by warding off predators, it is a source of warmth, light and facilitates cooking. Your survival tools must include either matches, flints, lighters, and tinder pieces (cotton, kerosene, or wax). You may pack more than one for backup as they don’t take up much space.
1. Bayite Ferro Rod
- 9ft Paracord included, gives you a good grip and never comes off. Comes with a bayite Striker-Pro striker attached to the paracord, always be prepared to start a fire
- bayite 6 Striking Edges Striker-Pro striker is made from TOOL GRADE HSS STEEL and has a distinct hardness, maximizes a shower of hot sparks, no matter whether you prefer to use your left hand or right hand to scrape. Don't use bad quality Knife as striker. Otherwise it will not produce enough sparks due to insufficient hardness of blade
- Ferrocerium Rod Length:4"(10cm). Diameter: 3/8"(10mm). Large enough for a shower of sparks and small enough to carry
- Made of high effective ferrocerium rod. Waterproof & Weatherproof, fits all weather, works in any weather condition
- Sparks shower at 5,500 F (3,000 C) to ignite a fire in any weather (even wet), at any altitude. Perfect emergency fire starter for Bushcraft, Hiking, Hunting, Fishing, EDC, Emergency, BBQ, Gas Camp Stoves, etc
This is our recommended flint fire starter for survival as it is waterproof and weatherproof at just the right size to produce an impressive shower of sparks while still petite and portable. It also comes with a 9-foot Para cord that holds the striker in place while providing a good grip.
The ability to see in the darkness is crucial for survival as you may need to maneuver at night or in dark spaces like collapsed building rubble, caves, and canopied jungles.
2. LE LED Camping Lantern Flashlight
- Convenient to use: This portable camping lantern comes with two hooks, one on the top and the other at the base that can hang the tent light upside down to get better light when lighting up a big area.
- Waterproof and Enough Brightness: IPX4 protection grade, making it quite suitable for camping, hiking, fishing, walking the dog, etc. And the 1000 Lumens brightness and 360 degree lighting provides you the sufficient brightness.
- Long Last Time: Using 1.5V 3 x D batteries (NOT included) as power supply, enables it can be used up to 12-25 hours, which last longer than most of the camp lamp in the market. Energy saving and suitable for power outage, emergency usage and hurricane etc.
- 4 Light Modes and Dimmable: Simply Short Press the switch of the tent light to adjust from 700lm (cool white), 300lm (warm white), 1000lm (cool white) to 1000lm (flash mode), While long press it can adjust the brightness to meet your need.
- Removable Cap: After removing the cap, can use this lantern upside down for camping, snowstorm, emergency usage or other outdoor activities.
This is a versatile survival tool that can give you up to 25 continuous hours of light and is battery powered so you can stock up on backup power. You can adjust the brightness to suit your needs. It is waterproof and can be hanged upright or upside down to suit your prevailing needs.
Water is essential for hydration, cooking, and sanitation and should feature in all your survival planning. There is a limit to the amount of water you can carry in an emergency; you will find yourself having to make do with what is locally available soon enough. This will not necessarily be consumable in its natural form and will require some work.
Water can be made consumable using water filtration powder and chemical water treatment tablets that easily fit the first aid kit. You can also acquire a water filtration system that allows you to consume the water from the source.
3. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
- ADVANCED WATER FILTRATION. Protects against 99.999999% of bacteria (including E.coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), 99.999% of microplastics, as well as sand, dirt, and cloudiness
- THOUGHTFUL AND SUSTAINABLE DESIGN. Ultralight and durable, the LifeStraw weighs less than 2 ounces so you can pack it anywhere without the need for electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
- MADE TO LAST. Long-lasting membrane microfilter will last up to 4,000 liters of water (that’s enough drinking water for an individual for over 5 years)
- RIGOROUSLY TESTED. Meets US EPA & NSF P231 standards for the removal of bacteria and parasites; BPA-free, chemical free
- YOUR PURCHASE HAS IMPACT. Your purchase has impact: one purchase, one child, one year of safe water
Our recommendation for your survival tool kit; each can filter up to 1,000 gallons of water, removing bacteria, protozoa, debris, and dirt. You can drink directly from the river or water container through the filter, using it as a straw. It can also be used to dispense filtered water into your water bottle or cup. It is very compact with a 1-inch diameter and length of 8 inches.
Food Security Tools
To survive, you will require nutrition and energy so that you can keep moving. As you plan for survival, you should stock up on convenient emergency foods that are self-preserving, high energy, and dry, so they are easy to carry.
You may eventually be forced to learn to survive on natural resources like plants if you lose your stock or the emergency extends beyond your rations. Additionally, not all emergency foods are consumable while dry, and some are better served hot. These scenarios call for a cooking pot. A quality cooking pot is durable, light, easy to carry, corrosion, and abrasion-resistant.
4. Stanley Adventure the Nesting Two Cup Cookset
- IDEAL OUTDOOR ACCESSORIES: The Stanley cook kit is perfect for outdoor cooking for hot meals, coffee, or boiling water Our cooking pots come with a vented top to let steam escape or strain liquid This is a great survival supplies gift too
- VERSATILE HANDLE: We designed the handle to provide maximum comfort and stability while it's on the stove The locking handle extends for stable cooking but folds over the lid to save space with the rest of your gear
- DURABLE AND BPA-FREE: The kettle / coffee maker is constructed with 18/8 stainless steel and features two insulated portable 10oz/295mL tumblers to enjoy hot and cold beverages The entire kit is made with BPA free materials
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: The stovetop mess kit with cups loaded weighs 13 9oz and empty it’s only 7 8oz which makes it travel and backpack friendly The kettle has graduated marks going up to 20oz
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: ‘BUILT FOR LIFE’ Since 1913 we’ve promised to provide rugged, capable gear for food and drink, built to last a lifetime It’s a promise we still keep Stanley products purchased from Stanley come with a lifetime warranty
It is a great survival accessory for hot meals, boiling water, and hot beverages. It’s lightweight, made from durable stainless steel, easy to carry, and comes with two insulated cups that fit snugly inside it.
First Aid Medical Kit
If you are susceptible to or have existing health conditions like diabetes, asthma, or epilepsy, it is recommended that you include extra medication in your kit for those days when you can’t access the pharmacy. Keep checking to ensure the medicine you have is not expired and replace them as soon as they do.
5. First Aid Only’s All-Purpose First Aid Kit
- Emergency Care: A total of 299 essential first aid supplies for treating minor aches and injuries
- Set Include: Adhesive fabric and plastic bandages, antibiotic ointments, BZK antiseptic towelettes, burn cream packets, aspirin, ibrufen, gauze roll and pads, wound closures, cold pack, and other multi-use items for any potential emergency
- Convenient Packaging: Fabric case with clear plastic pockets for organization and easy access to first aid supplies in an emergency
- Compact and Spacious: Two separate layers with individual compartments make retrieval easy and quick
- First Aid Care Ideal For: First aid care for home, travel, and on the go use
The package comes with 299 pieces, which cover every imaginable medical emergency. It has clear plastic pockets that enable you to arrange your supplies, so they are easily accessible. It comes with a soft bag, which allows it to fit in compact spaces. Feel free to add your extra medication in the bag, so they are easily accessible in a crisis.
Survival requires a consistent awareness of your environment and the ability to navigate through it. You will need a compass and map, especially if you are stranded in unfamiliar territory or when the safety zone is unfamiliar. The ideal compass is versatile and can endure the harshest environments and is also easy to carry along.
6. Sportneer Military Lensatic Sighting Compass
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE: This professional grade military compass will always lead you in the right direction. Ideal for camping, military usage, emergencies, and anywhere the beaten track takes you
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The lensatic function increases the reading’s accuracy with a lens on the rear sight that magnifies the card dial – so you’ll always get an accurate reading
- MILITARY CONSTRUCTION: Tough and tenacious, the military construction with waterproof and shakeproof properties is built to survive the harshest of hikes
- PORTABLE: Keep the compass near you with a belt loop attachment, or place it safely in your pocket with a carrying case, so you can keep your hands gripped on the mountain you’re scaling
- FLUORESCENT: The compass’ interface glows in the dark, so even when night falls, you can still soldier on
This is our top pick because it is tough, shake-proof, waterproof, and has a fluorescent interface that glows in the dark. It also comes with a belt loop attachment and is compact enough to fit snugly in your pocket along with its carry case. Your hands are left free to handle other essential tasks.
Self Defense Tools
They come in many forms, from stun guns, telescopic batons, pepper spray, knives, and guns, and protect you from predators, both human and animal. Ensure they are permissible by your local laws and regulations before including them in your essential survival tools.
We can’t all have legal Kalashnikov AK-47s or other firearms, and there is a risk they may be turned on us during emergencies. A minimalistic approach when protecting yourself is safer and more likely to be legal.
Bear spays are more versatile than pepper spray because pepper spray does nothing to bears. If you have to pick one due to logistical purposes, bear spray is recommended. Bear spray covers a larger distance and lasts longer. This gives you a better chance to escape and plan the next move. You should carry them on a shoulder or waist holster, so you don’t have to fumble in your backpack when under attack.
7. SABRE Frontiersman Bear Spray
- MAXIMUM STOPPING POWER: The only bear spray with an in-house HPLC lab to guarantee maximum strength (50% stronger than police strength pepper spray) and eliminate the 30% fail rate experienced by other brands (U. of UT); MADE IN THE U.S.A.
- GREATEST PROTECTION AT SAFEST DISTANCE - 35 FEET: Traveling up to 15 feet (4.6 m) farther than other bear attack deterrents this 9.2 oz bear spray delivers more distance between you and an attacking bear as they charge up to 35 miles per hour!
- GREATEST PROTECTIVE BARRIER PER BURST: Rapidly deploys the heaviest fog of 1.84 oz (52 grams) per 1-second burst (up to 84% more than other brands) to help maximize your safety by deploying a massive barrier of protection to help deter a charging bear
- RIGOROUSLY TESTED FOR CERTAINTY AND PEACE OF MIND: E.P.A. and Health Canada approved, our environmentally friendly bear spray is field-tested and proven effective against all types of bears by the Elmendorf Air Force Base and Brown Bear Resources
- SAFER FOR YOU, THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE BEAR: FRONTIERSMAN temporarily incapacitates a bear’s ability to see or smell while causing no permanent injuries; Safe to use while camping, it is non-flammable, and does not contain any ozone-depleting chemicals
This is billed to be 50% stronger than police pepper spray and reaches up to 35 feet, giving you more reaction time and repelling the bear at a greater distance. It is also non-flammable, which is a safe option for a survival tool.
A stun gun is more suited for close contact when the assailant sneaks up on you, and they are also compact enough to be added to your survival tools without too much trouble. It disables your aggressor so you can make your escape.
8. VIPERTEK VTS-989 Heavy Duty Stun Gun
- PROFESSIONAL SELF DEFENSE EQUIPMENT: Powerful heavy duty stun gun flashlight combination. Delivers painful stoppping power and backed by a Lifetime Warranty.
- SNATCH PREVENTION TECHNOLOGY: Shock plates on the side of the stun gun will shock an attacker if they attempt to take the gun from you; Contoured grip aids hand alignment making it easy to use and control.
- INTERNAL RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Our stun gun simply plugs into a standard wall outlet for a complete recharge. No Batteries needed! Charging cord included.
- ULTRA SHARP SPIKE ELECTRODES: Helps penetrate through thick clothing. COMPACT SIZE: 6.5” long x 2” wide x 1". This stun gun also comes with free wrist strap and holster case for easy everyday carrying.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY
This is our top pick as it has an intimidating sound and a jolt that causes loss of balance and muscle control, enough to put the attacker down. It has shock plates on the side and a contoured grip to prevent your attacker from prying it from your hand. It also packs a flashlight, which is a great backup for light.
Rescue Signaling Tools
These enable you to call for help or send distress signals. It can be a whistle, a glass mirror, or heliograph to reflect light in flashes and signal where you are to potential helpers or a flare gun.
9. NOOPEL Emergency Whistles
- Super loud survival whistle: double tubes emergency whistle can provide up to 120 decibels, enough to be heard at long distance.
- Premium Quality: Aluminum Alloy Material, strong and durable.
- Lightweight: only 12g, easy to carry.
- Water-resistance camping whistle: Be used in all-environment all-weather, rainy day, humid weather with excellent airflow design.
- Versatility: Loud safety whistle for camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, boating any kind of outdoor activities.
We like that they have double tubes and provide up to 120 decibels that can be heard over long distances. They are built to last and come with a lanyard and keychain making them easy to carry around the neck for easy access.
These survival tool essentials are used in everyday tasks you will be forced to perform like cutting food, clearing paths, digging, breaking through debris, self-defense, among others. They usually come as a combination of tools for ease of use and portability. Our combination of some of the most versatile should complete your survival kit essentials.
10. Rhino USA Folding Survival Shovel
- ▶ ULTIMATE MULTITOOL - Fire Starter, Whistle, Bottle Opener, Saw, Hoe, Fish Scaler + More All-In-One
- ▶ COMPACT & PORTABLE - Full 31" Long Extended with Adjustable Handle Length - Collapsible to 7"
- ▶ MULTI-FUNCTIONAL - Shovels = Great Garden Tools, Backpacking Gear and Metal Detector Accessories
- ▶ GUARANTEED 5-STAR EXPERIENCE - If you aren't 100% Satisfied for any Reason We'll Refund Your Money
It is a shovel that can be transformed into a pickax made of tough powder-coated carbon steel. It is foldable to fit into its designated carry bag, which in turn fits into your survival kit bag.
11. LEATHERMAN Super Tool 300 Multi-Tool
- GET WORK DONE: Built with the strongest pliers we've ever produced, a handle made to be gripped with gloves and 19 hand tools, the Super Tool 300 is a workhorse
- 19 TOOLS IN 1 HAND: The Super Tool 300 features knives, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, an electrical crimper, a wire stripper, bottle and can openers, a file, a saw, an awl and a ruler
- OUR GUARANTEE: We’re proud to stand behind every product that leaves our factory in Portland, Oregon; That’s why we offer our 25-year warranty, so you can be confident your Leatherman lasts a lifetime
- WORK WITH CONFIDENCE: All-locking features mean that every tool and knife (with the exception of the pliers head) will lock when fully opened, keeping you safe and the tools securely in place
- ALWAYS ON HAND: With its heavy-duty yet portable size and lanyard ring, your Super Tool 300 is always within reach and ready to work
This is a stainless steel workhorse with 19 hand tools that can be used for a wide range of tasks. It has different knives, pliers, different sizes of screwdrivers, a saw, a wire cutter and stripper, an electrical crimper, an awl, a file, and a ruler, among other things. It is heavy-duty but portable with a lanyard ring that enables you to carry it within reach for easy access.
12. BlizeTec 5-In-1 Survival Knife
- ✅BEST EMERGENCY TOOL: Premium 5-in-1 pocket-size stainless steel survival knife with nylon pouch. Functional components include: Serrated saw, bright LED flashlight, magnesium alloy fire starter, blade lock, window breaker, seatbelt cutter and pocket clip.
- ✅ALWAYS BE READY: BlizeTec multi-purpose lock blade knife is perfect for all occasions; you can use it for camping, hiking, hunting and any outdoor activity. A MUST HAVE item for emergency preparedness; great gift for outdoor adventurers, campers, hikers, hunters or even constant travelers.
- ✅POCKET SIZE & LIGHT WEIGHT: The knife is designed to fit perfectly into your palm. Weighs only 5.46oz, allowing you to avoid the hassle of carrying a big knife, while enjoying all the benefits of what a big knife can offer, and more. The knife can be carried with the belt clip or with the nylon pouch. This ultimate multi-emergency tool kit is produced with "ease of use" in mind.
- ✅EASY TO KEEP: BlizeTec emergency knife is easy to carry and easy to keep. The entire knife including handle is 8.5 inches long when open and it contains a mini LED light, seatbelt cutter, window breaker, magnesium fire starter and a pocket clip, Flexible carry options with the included nylon pouch, belt clip or just put it in your pocket. The blade is 3.5 inches long, and the whole unit is only 5 inches when closed.
- ✅QUALITY ASSURANCE: BT985LE is your every day carry knife. Invest in quality, BlizeTec is trademarked protected and your purchase is backed by our lifetime warranty with purchase directly from BlizeTec on Amazon only.
This is originally a knife with feature enhancements, including a bright LED flashlight, a magnesium alloy fire starter, a window breaker, and a seatbelt cutter. It is ideal for getting out of a car crash and has a blade lock and nylon pouch for safe storage when not in use.
13. LEATHERMAN Tread Bracelet
- READY FOR ANYTHING: Wield the functionality of a Leatherman like it’s an extension of your wardrobe; The world’s first wearable multitool features 29 tools and customizable links
- FITS YOUR NEEDS: The Tread's modular design is fully customizable to fit your needs and your wrist; Tools include box wrenches, hex drives, flat and Phillips screwdrivers, oxygen tank wrench and more
- OUR GUARANTEE: We’re proud to stand behind every product that leaves our factory in Portland, Oregon; That’s why we offer our 25-year warranty, so you can be confident your Leatherman lasts a lifetime
- BUILT FOR REAL LIFE: The Tread is fully adjustable to fit your wrist; Simply add or remove links in quarter-inch and half-inch increments to fit
- ALWAYS ON HAND: Wear your Tread everywhere so you're always ready; It's TSA compliant so you can even travel with your new favorite multitool
This is a wearable multi-tool with up to 29 tools and customizable links, giving you the option of using it as a strap for a watch. It has Philips and flat screwdrivers, hex drivers, box wrenches, glass breakers, SIM card tools, bottle openers, an oxygen tank wrench, and a host of other applications. Since you wear it on your wrist, it is always accessible, and you need not worry about packing it.
Having gone through all these survival tools, the average person may still not know how to use them or how to identify the applicable circumstances. It will take some adjustment for those untrained to survive outside their normal homely environment. Since there is no knowing when the emergency will arise, it is good to have an operational manual that summarizes some of these situations for ideas on how to handle them.
14. 100 Deadly Skills- Survival Edition
- 100 Deadly Skills Survival Edition The SEAL Operative s Guide to Surviving in the Wild and Being Prepared for Any Disaster
- Emerson, Clint (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 272 Pages - 10/18/2016 (Publication Date) - Atria (Publisher)
This is a guide compiled by Clint Emerson, a retired Navy SEAL, which advises on how to survive in the wild and general disaster preparedness. It is a good place to start as you build your own experience.
We believe that this combination of tools will comprehensively cover all your bases in an emergency. Some actually serve as backups for others, enabling you to extend their useful life.