The Best Fishing Kayak Under $1000 – Our Top Picks
Kayak fishing can be quite a fun experience. The good news is you don’t need to break the bank just to own one. With $1000 or less, you can gear up and head out for the water.
However, finding the best fishing kayak under 1000 for a kayak angler will require a little bit of digging around; what with all the many brands to choose from. Luckily, we’ve handled that part for you.
This review will show you seven of the best models to buy for less than a grand – and they all have good-quality construction. The buying guide at the end of the review will help you decide which kayak on this list (and wherever else) best suits your fishing needs, so don’t forget to read that up before making your choice.
Fishing Kayaks Under $1000 – Our Top 7 Picks
1. BKC Sit-on-Top Fishing Kayak
- THE PERFECT KAYAK FOR OUTDOOR FUN: The Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC FK184 has all the features the solo paddler needs. Whether you're headed out for an afternoon of lake fishing or you're headed downriver on a multi-day adventure, this solo kayak is ready to launch.
- FULLY LOADED ACCESSORIES: Our kayak comes equipped with a premium memory foam seat, adjustable aluminum paddle, 2 waterproof hatches, 5 rod holders, 2 paddle parks, and 1 bungee cargo tie down. We have all the accessories you need for your next excursion.
- CRAFTED FOR STABILITY: Our Roto Molded single Piece High density polyethylene material is superior to inflatable kayaks and a capable craft on ocean, lake, or river, while supporting up to 330 lbs. Our kayak is well suited to fishing, navigating swift currents, and even stable enough for standing to cast and reel.
- BUILT-IN FISHING ROD HOLDERS: The BKC FK184's four flush-mount rod holders and single articulating rod holder keep multiple lines deployed at one time, or just keep the rods out of your way during paddling, making transport easy.
- WATERPROOF STORAGE: Keep all your valuables dry inside the BKC FK184's 2 watertight storage hatches. With ample watertight storage and a large cargo area, bring along enough supplies for multiple-day adventures. The rear cargo space with bungee cord will hold all of your fishing stuff and outdoor gear.
Solo paddlers will find this model from the Brooklyn Kayak Company (BKC) quite appealing. It is a 9-foot kayak constructed using a high-density single-piece polyethylene material, making it super tough and sturdy, yet lightweight.
In terms of performance on the water, you can easily maneuver this boat, and it is very stable. However, it is best suited to smaller or shorter people.
It comes loaded with plenty of accessories, including five-rod holders, one bungee cord cargo tie-down, adjustable aluminum paddle, and two paddle parks.
Spending long hours fishing out of this kayak shouldn’t be a problem, thanks to the memory seat that supports your spine and reduces the pressure on your back.
The boat comes in camo, gray camo (as pictured above), and red/yellow colors, so there is something to suit everyone. If you have your mind set on getting a well-built sit-on-top kayak, this model might be worth checking out.
- Two waterproof storage hatches
- Built-in rod holders
- Supports up to 330 lbs
- Memory foam seat
- Not suitable for taller persons and those on the bigger side
2. Pelican Sit-on-Top Fishing Kayak
- Lightweight and easy to carry with two retractable carrying handles this sit-on-top kayak with an open cockpit allows the easiest of entry
- The Multi-Chine flat bottom hull design provides ultra stability and great tracking with a maximum capacity of 325 lb. / 147 kg
- Storage All your gear for your trip with a quick lock hatch in the front plus a 4" Day hatch with storage bag and a storage platform with bungee cords
- Fishing accessories: gear with a swivel rod holder and two flush mount rod holders, a bottle holder, A paddle tie-down to store Paddle, adjustable footrests and secure foot bracing, six accessory eyelets to attach gear on your kayak
- The ERGOFIT G2 seating system includes a padded seat cushion and an adjustable backrest cushion providing better support
The Pelican Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak might be just the right model for you if you value stability over speed, regardless of your fishing experience.
Not only is this a great-looking kayak, but it is also an unbelievably light, 10-foot, one-person boat that gives you superior maneuverability in tight spaces. That’s why it is a fantastic choice for fishing creeks, backwaters, and small ponds.
Getting the kayak into the water is easy, and that’s not just because it is light but also because it comes with two retractable carrying handles. While the open cockpit allows for easy entry, the boat features a 4-inch dry hatch to quick lock to keep delicate items from getting wet.
Flipping the seat backward provides more room on the deck, and you can adjust the seat from paddling height to fishing height using the higher slot provided.
Other features include a swivel rod holder, cup holder, six accessory eyelets, adjustable footrest, and a paddle tie-down to store your paddles. Overall, this is an easy kayak to fish out of.
- Flat bottom hull provides good stability in calm waters
- Great tracking
- Padded seat cushion for better support
- Two retractable carrying handles
- Subpar rod holders
- No T-slots
3. Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use , NMMA certified
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Berkley Quick Set Rod Holders are adjustable for enhanced hands-free fishing
- Sevylor trolling motor fittings expand your fishing capabilities
While many traditional fishermen will argue that inflatable kayaks are mere toys, Sevylor puts that argument to rest once and for all with the Coleman Colorado inflatable angling kayak. This model can go toe-to-toe with most hard-shell kayaks out there, especially tandem-style options.
Constructed using high-quality materials, including NMMA-certified 18-gauge PVC, 840D nylon cover, and 1,000D tarpaulin bottom, this inflatable fishing kayak is extremely durable, rigid, yet flexible where it matters.
It sits two persons comfortably with plenty of legroom and lots of storage for fishing gear. Even the adjustable seats have pockets for snacks and drinks. Inflating and deflating the boat is pretty easy, and it is very stable on the water.
Unlike many other kayaks that are noisy on the water, this inflatable kayak moves silently, which is great because it won’t spook the fish.
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- Plenty of pocks and clips for storage and gear
- Incredible stability
- High-quality construction materials
- Can be a bit slow, especially when it is windy
- Generic instruction
4. Lifetime Tamarack Angler Sit-On-Top Kayak
- Constructed of UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene. Multiple Footrest Positions for Different Size Riders
- Adjustable Padded Seat Back and Seat Pad for Comfort. Stable Flat Bottom. Front and Rear Shock Cord Straps
- Two Flush Mounted Fishing Rod Holders. One Top Mount Fishing Rod Holder. Two 6" Storage Compartments in Rear and Center
- Two Paddle Cradles with Shock Cords. Front and Rear T-Handles for Easy Transport. Deep Hull Tracking Channels
- Stability Chine Rails. Durable High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Construction. 5-Year Limited Warranty
For an entry-level fishing kayak under 1000, the Lifetime Tamarack Angler Sit-On-top is a solid choice. This model is designed to serve anglers for several years, thanks to the UV-protected high-density polyethylene build material.
This model has a deep hull tracking channel that allows for better and smoother maneuverability. It is a portable 10-foot kayak, so getting it in and out of tight spaces is not difficult at all.
Stability chine rails combine with flat bottom construction ensures that the boat is very stable on the water. The boat features multiple footrest positions to accommodate different sizes of riders. Other useful features include two flush-mounted fishing rod holders, one top mount rod holder, and two 6-inch storage compartments in the center and rear.
While this is not the most expensive fishing kayak out there, you can be sure you are getting a good quality product. Plus, you can shop this confidently, knowing a 5-year limited warranty backs it.
- Excellent build quality with high-quality materials
- Multiple footrest positions to accommodate different-size riders
- Flat bottom improves stability
- 5-year limited warranty
- The seats are not great
5. Perception Pescador 12-Foot Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak
- Sit-on-Top Kayaking's Most Well-Rounded Performer for Larger Paddlers - Made in USA
- Easy open front hatch with latching lid and massive rear tank well offer loads of storage
- Comfort seating system with thick ventilated padding for superior support
- Leak-proof one-piece construction with built-in buoyancy for added safety
- Optimized design and construction make it easier to carry
Looking for a versatile fishing kayak under 1000? The Perception Pescador Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak is a fantastic option. It is designed for both professional and recreational anglers, so it will work just fine regardless of your purpose.
The kayak is best suited for ponds, lakes, calm coastal waters, and slow-moving rivers. It has a single-piece high-density polyethylene and roto-molded construction. This gives the boat its extremely durable quality and also optimizes its weight. In addition to excellent construction, this model has built-in buoyancy that increased safety on the water.
At 12-foot, the kayak is not too long or too short. It can fit nicely into the back of any SUV. The boat features multiple storage options, a cup holder, a quick-adjust footrest, and a dry front storage compartment with a large hatch for trouble-free access.
- Easily slices through water
- Ergonomically designed kayak seat
- Built-in buoyancy for increased stability
- Great choice for beginners
- The kayak seat is not very plush
6. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skews for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
Whether you are on a shoestring budget or just don’t feel like splurging on a fishing kayak, the Intext Excursion Pro Kayak might be just what you’re looking for. Although it doesn’t cost as much as many other fishing kayaks, it does offer some great advantages.
First, it is lightweight and portable so maneuvering the boat isn’t an issue. It is also highly resistant to damage from sunlight, abrasion, and impact, thanks to the tough laminate PVC construction. You can take this on salt-water fishing or even paddle through oil and gasoline spills without worries.
It features removable bucket seats with a backrest and two floor-mounted footrests to improve comfortability. There is also a GPS, fishing rod holder, fish finder, repair patch, two paddles, and plenty of other accessories that you will likely need.
High-pressure spring-loaded valves ensure that the boat inflates easily and deflates very quickly. In a nutshell, this is the best fishing kayak under 1000 as far as budget options go.
- Light and portable model
- Very sturdy and stable
- Comes with plenty of accessories
- Elevated seat cushion and footrest
- Paddles are too short
- Not enough legroom, especially with both seats installed
7. SunDolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
- Great for lakes and rivers and to get to those excluded fishing spots
- Lightweight, easy to carry.Retractable carrying handles
- Tracks and paddles with ease while offering maximum stability
- P.A.C. (Portable Accessory Carrier). Capacity-250 pounds
- Two flush mount and one swivel fishing rod holders
Lastly, SunDolphin’s fishing kayak is an excellent choice if you want to get to those excluded fishing spots that potentially hold plenty of catch.
The small 10-foot sit-on-top kayak performs well on lakes and streams. It is light and easy to carry with the retractable carrying handles.
The weight distribution is great, making it fairly stable. There is plenty of room for gear on the cockpit, and shorter riders will enjoy ample legroom.
For features, the SunDolphin Journey fishing kayak comes with adjustable foot braces, protective thigh pads, one swivel rod holder, and a portable accessory carrier that double as extra storage.
- Extremely light
- Thigh pads for added protection
- Impressive tracking
- Great entry-level fishing kayak
- Not suitable for tall riders
Buying Considerations for Fishing Kayaks
It is easy to focus only on price when looking for the best fishing kayak under 1000. But the price is only one out of several considerations when choosing a fishing yak. Here are the most important factors to keep in mind:
Kayaks come in a few different styles, including sit-on-top, pedal kayak, recreational kayak, inflatable, tandem kayak, and touring options.
While you can use any of these for fishing, the ideal choice will depend on the type of fish you are targeting and where you plan to use the kayak.
A sit-on-top kayak doesn’t have a closed cockpit, so it is a solid choice for anglers who carry plenty of fishing gear. It is also great if you plan to fish mostly during the warmer months.
This kayak style has superior stability, especially when stationary. Consider this option if you are an angler. The style doesn’t suit trollers so much.
If you plan to fish for bass in fast-moving waters, you are better off with a narrow sit-on-top or sit-in kayak designed to fit into tight spaces. It should offer incredible stability so that you can stand while fishing. This means you should consider the length-to-width when choosing.
Inflatable kayaks were once considered pool toys, but more recent models are designed with high-quality materials and premium construction to rival hard shell kayaks. Choose this style if you want something more affordable and portable.
Tandem or Single Fishing Kayak
Choose a tandem fishing kayak if you enjoy the company of others during your fishing missions. This is usually a cheaper alternative to buying two kayaks. It offers more room for gear and gives you additional control.
However, a tandem watercraft won’t give you the versatility of a compact kayak that fits into narrow or tight spaces.
A single fishing kayak is an ideal choice if you go solo fishing or want something more compact.
The length of a fishing kayak can dramatically impact its performance on the water. Your options regarding length are down to two: long (above 12 feet long) and short (less than 11 feet).
Longer kayaks are much faster, while shorter ones offer better maneuverability. A simple way to determine the length to pick is to consider the type of water bodies where you will be using the watercraft.
Choose a longer kayak if you are fishing oceans, rivers, and lakes, as this offers more speed to cover larger water bodies. However, a shorter model is better suited for backwaters, small ponds, and creeks because it allows you to maneuver these narrower spaces better.
Construction materials and features are the major factors that determine the cost of a fishing kayak. Brand reputation can also influence price tag.
Fortunately, you can find high-quality models that are not very expensive. Prepare to spend anywhere from $350 to $800 if you want an affordable model that doesn’t compromise quality and functionality.
Getting the best fishing kayak under 1000 is not difficult if you know where to look. Our top recommendations will make your fishing adventure both fun and safe.
There is no need to worry about quality because these fishing kayaks are selected from some of the well-known and reliable brands in the trade.