Best Low-Cost Survival Knives
When it comes to survival situations, it is critical to have tools you can trust. Survival knives are an essential part of your survival tool kit. So it is imperative that you know how to choose the best one.
Below you can find information on the most relevant factors when shopping for survival knives. Then we’ll show you some of the best low-cost options available online. Soon you’ll be ready to choose a survival knife you can depend on in any situation.
What to Consider in a Survival Knife
There is a lot to consider when it comes to survival knives. But there are a few characteristics you should know about before you begin your search. Look at these important features first when evaluating survival knives.
Fixed Blade vs. Folding
Every knife you come across as you shop will either be a fixed blade knife or a folding knife. These names are fairly self-explanatory, but each type comes with advantages and drawbacks.
The advantage of a folding knife is immediately apparent. By folding the knife, you are essentially reducing the total length by half. This makes storing and carrying a folding survival knife far more efficient.
Despite efficiency, folding knives are not always the best option. Fixed blade knives come with the inherent benefit of being far less likely to malfunction. The lack of a complex folding mechanism makes for a simpler tool. That simplicity lends itself to the kind of reliability you need in a survival situation.
The majority of survival knives are made using some form of steel. But you will find that there are multiple varieties of steel for survival knife blades.
The material which comprises your blade dictates how well it will perform. It also plays a significant role in the lifespan of your knife. Knowing the qualities of different types of steel will help you select a blade that will last.
The concept of a full tang knife is easy to understand. But that doesn’t mean everyone is familiar with the term. If you are new to knives, you should know that you will want a knife with a full tang.
A full tang survival knife is made of a single piece of steel. That steel forms the blade and extends through the entire length of the handle.
Having a full tang can drastically increase the longevity of a knife. Full tang blades are also stronger, making them even more suitable for intense survival uses.
Best Low Cost Survival Knife Reviews
Below, we will dive into some of our top picks for the best low cost survival knives on the market.
Mossy Oak Survival Knife
- ✅ 15" Fixed Blade Knife: Ultra-sharp combat knife, stronger than any hunting knife or bowie knife. Overall Length: 15 inch; Blade Length: 10 inch; Thickness: 5/32 inch (3.8 mm); Weight: 16.8 oz.
- ✅ Razor Sharp Clip Point Blade: The survival Knife is made of stainless steel for excellent hardness, improved edge retention and rust resistance. Survival knife's clip point blade features saw back, black anodize, ideal for camping expeditions, survival training or military combating.
- ✅ Rubber Handle & Nylon Sheath: Classic rubber handle of survival knife, provides high friction and comfortable non-slip grip for use. Durable heavy duty nylon sheath with easy open fastening system and belt hanging system for easy and safe carry.
- ✅ Sharpener & Fire Starter: Packed below the plastic container in the paper box, please check carefully. Fire starter (black) and a sharpener (sliver) is suitable for outdoors camping.
- ✅ Occasions: As a perfect camping and hunting survival knife, Mossy Oak fixed blade knives are built to last. it’s suitable for hunter, camper, survivalist or outdoor sports enthusiast so that you can enjoy your adventure.
The Mossy Oak Survival Knife is a large, heavy-duty knife suitable for any survival situation. The blade is ten inches and has both serrated and non-serrated edges. This gives you plenty of flexibility when using this knife.
The blade runs through a rubber handle with a carefully crafted ergonomic design. That means you won’t need to worry about this knife slipping from your hand as you cut. You won’t need to worry about it breaking down either. The blade of the Mossy Oak Survival Knife is 440c stainless steel that resists rust and maintains a sharp edge.
- Rust resistance
- Slip-resistant rubber handle
- Great edge retention
- Comes with a sharpener
- Blade tip can break
- External coating can become scratched easily
Oerla EDC Pocket Folding Blade
- Open length:8.86”(22.5cm), closed: 5.2”(13.2cm), blade: 3.54” (9cm) and a wight of 6.1 ounces.
- Type: folding knife; Blade material: 420HC cold treated Stainless Steel; Handle material: G10
- Ball bearing flipper opening available! Convenient one hand opening and folding.
- Carry Type: pocket clip and lanyard hole; lock Type: Liner lock.
- Essential Good for work, outdoor survival, hunting, hiking, camping, gift, Collection.
The Oerla EDC Pocket Folding Blade is the only folding knife on this list. As such, it comes with the same disadvantages that all folding knives have. Regardless, the Oerla EDC Pocket Folding Blade is a high-quality knife that is convenient to carry and use.
When in the folded position, this knife is very compact. If you need to use the blade, you can open the knife using a single hand. These features, along with a lightweight design, make the Oerla EDC Pocket Folding Blade a very effective survival knife.
- Easy to open with one hand
- Compact when folded
- Comes with a pocket clip for easy carrying
- Lightweight design
- Folding mechanism increases the odds of a malfunction
- Blade can be slow to open
Cold Steel SRK Survival Rescue Fixed Blade Knife
- EXTREME TOUGHNESS: The SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) was built with one aim in mind: to produce the toughest multi-purpose survival tool in the industry and is a knife you can trust with your life
- TRUSTED BY SPECIAL FORCES: The SRK is the standard issue knife for Navy Seals B.U.D.S. training and is trusted by the Military and Special Forces community for its versatility and durability in even the worst conditions
- SHARP, DURABLE STEEL: Made with Japanese high-carbon SK-5 steel, which is traditionally used for making a variety of hand tools and has great all-around toughness, excellent edge-holding capabilities and excellent abrasion resistance
- COMFORTABLE, SECURE GRIP: The handle sports a single quillon finger guard and a deeply checkered Kray-Ex grip for a safe, secure hold in all conditions
- SPECIFICATIONS: Weight - 5.1 ounces; Blade Length - 5 inches; Handle Length - 4 1/2 inches; Overall Length - 9 1/2 inches
This knife has a fixed blade but remains on the smaller side. The total length of the Cold Steel SRK Survival Rescue Fixed Blade Knife is around nine and a half inches.
This may not be the best option for those with large hands. You may also find that the Cold Steel SRK Survival Rescue Fixed Blade Knife is not exceedingly sharp when you first take it out of the box. But, the blade sharpens easily and proves to be durable over the long term. There is no better proof of this durability than the fact that this is a standard-issue knife for Navy Seals in training.
- Compact size for easy carrying
- Durable SK-5 steel
- Checkered handle pattern makes for a good grip
- Easy to sharpen
- Not an ideal grip for those with larger hands
- Somewhat dull out of the box
HX Outdoors Fixed Blade Tactical Knife
- Fixed blade knife Overall length of 9.25 inches, blade length 3.54 inches, blade thickness 3.8 mm, weight 7.3 oz.
- Robust and reliable Hunting Knife features a black handle and a fine edge, full tang 440 stainless steel blade it Carbon content up to 1.2%, chromium content up to 16%, provides excellent hardness, improved edge retention, toughness, and corrosion resistance.
- Ergonomic G10 anti-skid handle With corrosion-resistant, wear-resistant and so on offers a superior grip in even the wettest of conditions; snow and a variety of harsh environments can easily control.The end has a lanyard hole for easier carry.
- The tactical knife is equipped with a durable Oxford sheath can be used for mounting on MOLLE, belt, backpack or in Tactical vest .Seamlessly used for daily home needs, garden, Outdoor, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking etc.
- Perfect gift idea - gifts for man from woman, proving hugely popular as dad gifts, and Perfect gift for Christmas, birthday, thanksgiving. Stocking stuffers for men.
This is a tough knife that can perform difficult cutting tasks and withstand abuse. It comes with a tanto point. That makes it so that this blade won’t break even when stabbing into hard surfaces.
The handle of this knife can be a bit heavy, and it tends to lose its edge. But, it is still long-lasting and can resist both water damage and corrosion.
- Withstands heavy impacts
- Water resistance
- Corrosion resistance
- Tanto point for immense tip strength
- Can lose sharpness quickly
- Can be a bit out of balance
Ontario Knife Company 499 Air Force Survival Knife
- ✔ Iconic 499 survival knife carried by pilots for generations for survival in any environment
- ✔ 1095 carbon steel blade - 0. 1875 thickness.
- ✔ 9. 5" overall length - 5" blade length
- ✔ Sawteeth on spine
- ✔ Natural leather handle
The Ontario Knife Company 499 Air Force Survival Knife is a versatile tool. It includes a typical blade as well as a sawtooth edge on the opposite side. This carbon steel material extends through the leather handle.
Compared to other knives on this list, this one does not have the sharpest blade. But that doesn’t mean that this knife is worthless. In fact, it has proven to be a reliable tool for the Air Force over multiple generations.
- Rust resistance
- Sawtooth edge
- Comfortable leather handle
- Proven track record with the military
- Not the sharpest blade
- Does not fit perfectly into its holster
When you are in a survival situation, you need a knife you can trust. Before you start looking for the best survival knife, it helps to know what you should be looking for. Use this article as a guide to finding the best low-cost survival knife for your needs.