Must Have Survival Items For a Pandemic
As millions of Americans are sheltering in place and the COVID-19 pandemic continues to get worse, many people are beginning to panic, worrying that they will run out of the essential items they need to survive. Now, here’s the thing; America has survived worse disasters, and we’ll survive this one too.
That being said, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared for the worst, especially if the pandemic ends up lasting longer than we all expect. For that reason, we’ve put together a list of the Top 17 Must-Have Survival Items for a Pandemic. Get these items now and stock up so that you and your family will be prepared for whatever comes next.
Top Food Items To Stock Up On
Of course, one of the most important things you’re going to need is food and plenty of it. We’re not talking about Ho-Hos and Ritz crackers either, but nourishing food filled with protein, vitamins, minerals, and the other ingredients your body needs to stay healthy. (OK, so a few snacks are fine too.) Canned, dried and jarred foods are the best because they will last much longer than fresh foods and don’t need to be refrigerated or frozen.
Below are some of the best foods in terms of both nutrition and shelf-life. We’ve also chosen foods that are organic when possible and the highest quality so that you get the nutrition you’re going to need.
Coconut Oil- Highly nutritious and a fantastic source of energy, coconut oil also has antibiotic and antibacterial properties and can be extremely helpful during a crisis. It also has a very long shelf life, tastes great and has a wide variety of uses.
- MADE FROM FRESH, ORGANIC COCONUTS – Cold-pressed from fresh, organic coconuts, Viva Naturals Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil delivers rich flavor and aroma that’s nutrient rich and naturally delicious.
- PERFECT FOR COOKING, FRYING & SPREADING - With a naturally high smoke point (350°F/177°C), coconut oil is perfect for baking, frying and sautéing. Spread it on muffins or toast for a delightful and delicious alternative to butter.
- NUTRIENT-RICH SKIN & HAIR-CARE TREATMENT – Super useful outside the kitchen, coconut oil makes a luscious lotion or hair conditioner that provides deep, nutrient-rich hydration without feeling sticky or greasy.
- EASILY FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE – Whether you’re following a keto, paleo or gluten-free lifestyle, or just looking for a tastier alternative to margarine or cooking oil, our Organic Coconut Oil is easy to use, and fits seamlessly into your day-to-day. No refrigeration required.
- USDA-CERTIFIED ORGANIC & NON-GMO - Using only the world’s highest-quality organic coconuts, our Coconut Oil is USDA-Certified Organic, non-GMO, and gluten free, grown and harvested sustainably without the use of harmful chemicals, pesticides or other nastiness.
Apple Cider Vinegar– A natural preservative and antibacterial, apple cider vinegar can reduce cholesterol, lower blood pressure and can be used on the skin to treat eczema and other conditions. It can also be used to treat cuts and small wounds and lasts, like, forever on the shelf.
- BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: The Bragg ACV Vinegar is made from organically grown apples, and offers various health benefits. To easily incorporate ACV into your diet, you can take a daily 2 oz shot, pour it over your salad, drink in a morning elixir with water and lemon, or add it to your hot tea.
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered, and crafted from organically grown apples. It is USDA certified organic, Non-GMO Verified, and Kosher certified.
- MOTHER OF VINEGAR: The ‘Mother’ consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product its murky appearance. The ‘Mother’ is used for its natural cleansing qualities.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR HEALTH BENEFITS: Drinking a daily dose of Bragg Organic ACV offers many health benefits. ACV can help support a healthy immune system, aids in maintaining a healthy weight, delivers prebiotics, and helps you maintain normal glucose levels.
- The Bragg Difference: A diet rich in organic fruits and veggies is essential to vibrant health. Our ingredients always come from the land, not a lab. It’s our vital difference.
Chickpea Pasta- More protein and fiber with fewer carbs than regular pasta and no gluten, chickpea pasta is delicious, nutritious and can stay on the shelf for years and still be edible. Plus it’s super-filling so you won’t have to eat as much to be satisfied.
- Barilla chickpea pasta is a delicious, protein-rich pasta that's naturally gluten free
- Made from 100% non-GMO chickpeas; each 2 oz serving of chickpea rotini is 34g of carbs
- Gluten and grain free version of traditional rotini that cooks in 7-9 minutes
- Barilla chickpea pasta is free from all major allergens such as gluten, grain, peanuts, tree nuts, milk, fish, mollusks, crustacean, and soy allergens
- Try our chickpea pasta with you favorite sauces, fish, and veggies for a delicious meal
Dark Chocolate- Rich in minerals and antioxidants, dark chocolate is also an anti-inflammatory and has a massive amount of raw energy because it’s so calorie-dense. It can last for 1 to 2 years in a cool, dry cupboard and can soothe those chocolate cravings you’re bound to get when cooped up in the house.
- Contains 1 - 2.5oz Wicked Dark (95%) Chocolate Bar (Packaging May Vary)
- Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher Certified, and Direct Trade to ensure quality and transparency for all
- All-Natural, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, and Vegan
- We make our perfectly unrefined, stone ground chocolate from bean to bar at our Somerville, MA chocolate factory using traditional Mexican stone mills to grind our cacao
- A delicious anytime treat from minimally processed chocolate with a bold flavor and texture
Lemon Juice- Loaded with vitamin C, lemon juice (bottled preferably) prevents scurvy and helps the body absorb iron. It’s great for disinfecting wounds too and can help your kidneys during times of great stress. Plus, it lasts for ages even if unrefrigerated.
- A 1-liter bottle equals the juice of 40 fresh lemons!
- 100% USDA Organic
- Single-origin juice made from Sicilian lemons
- Fresh Pressed Not-from-concentrate Kosher
- Includes a 2-pack of 1-liter bottles
Protein Powder- As we mentioned earlier, your body needs plenty of protein and protein powder is a great way to get it because it’s easy to use, fills your belly and can be mixed with a wide variety of foods. It’s a great alternative to fish and meat and won’t spoil for years.
- Includes 1 (2.03 pound) orgain organic plant based vanilla bean protein powder
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 5 grams of organic dietary fiber, 5 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving
- USDA organic, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, low net carbs, no added sugar, soy free, kosher, non GMO, carrageenan free, and no artificial ingredients
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when bakin grams to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost
- Ideal for healthy, on the go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great for meal replacement, smoothie boosters, building grams lean muscle, muscle recovery, and pre or post workouts
Matcha Tea- Able to detoxify your body as well as calm you down naturally, Matcha Tea (green tea) is packed with fiber, chlorophyll and antioxidants and has a semi-sweet taste. It also boosts your metabolism so that, if you’re stuck at home, you can at least drop some pounds.
- Premium Chef's Choice Quality - Great for beginner Matcha drinkers and Chefs. For the Matcha enthusiasts who are looking for the PREMIUM Matcha powder for cooking & baking, and beverages. This 1st flush (1st harvest) Matcha is rich vibrant green in color, sweet in aroma with smooth earthy flavors. Our leaves are carefully selected and grown in shaded facilities. Once the young tea leaves have been selected, they are then grinded by a Mikage Stone to produce delicate delicious final powder.
- Bodily Benefits - Our Emerald Class Organic Matcha is rich in antioxidants, with greater than 137x the EGCG levels that of regular steeped tea. Organic Matcha has been shown to help (1) Increase energy levels (2) Help reduce stress and improve mental alertness (3) Support metabolism and help with weight loss (4) Support immune system and helps reduce inflammation. (5) Help the body cleanse of harmful elements.
- Trusted Certifications - Certified USDA Organic via the U.S. and Japan’s transparency agreement, JAS Organic certified by OCIA Japan, OU Kosher Certified, VEGAN.ORG Certified. In addition, All Midori Spring Ceremonial Grade Organic Matcha is also GLUTEN FREE, GMO FREE, and contains no pesticides, soy, wheat of any kind.
- Practical Packagining - Our packaging is formulated to maintain optimal freshness and practical handling. The Matcha is packaged in a food grade pouch inside the storage tin. The size of the pouch and tin have been carefully selected and tested for most practical handling. Matcha should be kept in the pouch (pinch to keep air out) with the lid sealed to maintain freshness once opened. It is highly recommended to store Matcha in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator.
- Quality and Safety - We at Midori Spring believe in our products 100%. However, our customers are important to us. If you are not 100% satisfied with our product, please contact us immediately for a full refund or exchange. We are here for any questions or concerns.
Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut- A true superfood, raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut delivers a nutritious gut punch that you’ll need during any crisis. Packed full of vitamins C, K, and B6 plus magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron and potassium. Sauerkraut is also a probiotic that supports the “good” microorganisms in your gut. And yes, it’s great on hotdogs!
- Raw Sauerkraut with incredible taste! (and crunch)
- High Probiotic Content
- Important: Please read disclaimer about warm weather juice leakage in product description before ordering.
- Certified organic by Oregon Tilth, Small Batch Made
- Artisan Product Of Oregon
Multi-Vitamins- During any crisis your body will be more stressed than usual and, if you’re not taking a multi-vitamin, now might be a great time to start.
- For Energy & Whole Body Health; Whole food multivitamin, with a broad spectrum of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients; Provides vitality benefits and whole body health in one convenient complex
- Energy; Supports energy metabolism and helps boost your natural energy level; With a complex of B Vitamins and a dual-action energizing herbal blend
- Helps Turn Food Into Fuel; Complex of B vitamins delivers essential nutrients that help metabolism; Convert carbohydrates, fats and protein-energy sources that "naturally fuel" our body
- Coffee Alternative; One serving contains approximately the same amount of caffeine as one cup of coffee; Based on the USDA.gov nutrient database for 1 cup (8 fl. oz.) of brewed coffee
- Suitable For Vegans/Vegetarians; No gluten, no yeast, no wheat, no milk or milk derivatives, no lactose, no egg, no sugar, no artificial flavors
Canned Meat- Protein powder might be all good and well but nothing beats real meat. Canned it will stay edible for a lot longer too and, if the electricity goes out, it won’t go bad.
- 4-12 Ounce Cans
- Kirkland Signature Roast Beef
- Premium Top and Bottom Round in Beef Broth
Pickled Vegetables- Another good food to stock is pickled veggies. They last on the shelf and won’t go bad if the power goes out and the fridge doesn’t work. There are a lot of different types of vegetables so be sure to stock up on more than one.
- Tillen Farms Pickled Hot and Spicy Dilly Beans, 12 oz
- Crunchy and delightfully sour; Ideal for snacking and incorporating into salads
- Non-GMO; No artificial preservatives
- Contains none of the eight most common allergens
- Made in the USA and part of the award winning Stonewall Kitchen family of gourmet foods
Top Non-Food Items To Stock Up On
If things are bad enough that you need to stock up on food then you should stock up on other essentials also, just in case. If the electricity goes out in a storm, for example, the power company might not have the people to get to it right away. There are a million other scenarios also so, without wasting time talking about them, below are some of the must-have items you should have ready at home.
First Aid Kit- Hospitals are already over-stressed so, if you have a small accident or incident, you need to be prepared to handle it yourself.
Solar Power Charger- In a crisis you’ll need your laptop, smartphone and other devices. If there’s no power a solar power charger is your best bet and can be a lifesaver.
- Updated Triple USB Ports: 3 USB charging ports( Each is 5V/2.4A Max) with smart charging technology which can recognize your device smartly then providing optimal charging speed vary with different devices. The 3 USB ports can offer the total current at 5V/4.8A Max. CE/ FCC/ RoHS certificated, BigBlue ensure 100% safe charging with overcharging, overheating and short circuit protection.
- Easy To Carry: With compact size (11.1 × 6.3× 1.3in folded) and lightweight (20.6 oz) design, BigBlue foldable solar charger panel bag is small and light enough to fit into any camping backpack, hiking daypack, or emergency kit. They’re also good for stashing in an emergency kit. The 3 USB ports allow you to charge multiple devices at once.
- High Energy Conversion: Highly efficient SunPower panel convert up to 21.5-23.5% of solar power into free energy in enough sunlight. This special PET polymer surface protects it from occasional rain or wet Fog and all the ports are covered by a cloth flap and rubber cover to protect them from dust or water damage.
- Wide Compatibility: Attached Micro USB cable for almost all 5V Android devices & some DSLRs, or Apple devices (needs extra original cable). Our solar phone charger can't store the electricity, please unfold it in the outdoor direct sunlight, then connect it to your device. Note: our solar charger doesn't fit the laptops and iPad Pro.
- Package & Support: You will get BigBlue 28W Solar Phone Charger, 50cm Micro USB Cable, User Manual, 24-month Worry Free Card and friendly & Customer Service. Note: Any cloud cover arrives may influence the charging speed. We suggest you to replug the device and reopen the solar panels if the charging is too slow.
Fresh Water Filter- Fresh, potable water is essential to life. If the source of your home water is somehow contaminated, you’ll need to clean it before you drink it, so keep one of these on hand no matter what.
- Complete water filtration system designed for emergency preparedness, groups in the backcountry, and mission trips
- High-performance 0.1 Micron absolute inline filter fits in the palm of your hand and weighs just 2 ounces; 100% of MINI units individually tested three times to performance standards by Sawyer
- Bucket and faucet adapters provide high-volume clean, potable water from any fresh water source; easily field maintainable
- Filter with built-in and removable push/pull cap; comes with one 32-ounce, BPA-free collapsible pouch for personal hydration
- Backed by manufacturer's lifetime limited (independent testing laboratory Hydration, LLC.; Microbiological Report S05-03); 100% of Squeeze Filter units individually tested three times to performance standards by Sawyer
Large Water Bottle- If you get the filter and want to stock up on water, you’ll need some big bottles to do it. Get two or three (or more) depending on the size of your family. Keep in mind that the average person drinks 3 liters of water per day, which is a little less than one gallon.
- 5 gallon plastic Hedpak Carboy with handle BPA free & food grade
- High quality product
- Manufactured in United States
- Package dimensions: 15.0inches L x 9.8inches W x 9.6inches H
Spray Disinfectant- During a crisis like COVID-19 keeping surfaces clean is a must. A potent spray disinfectant is thus a must also.
- Botanically based formula cleans, disinfects and deodorizes multi-surfaces in your home while effectively eliminating odor causing bacteria
- Kills 99.9% of household germs botanically, including cold and flu viruses
- Kid friendly
- Cruelty-free, no animal testing
- No rinsing or wiping required even on food contact surfaces and children’s toys
Dehumidifier- This might seem like something you don’t really need but, especially during a pandemic, dehumidifiers are very useful. It will help alleviate symptoms, keep nasal passages dry and may help to decay viruses faster.
- 1,500 SQ FT MEDIUM ROOM DEHUMIDIFIER - Our dehumidifier removes up to 22 pints (30 Pint 2012 DOE Standard) from the air per day. This Energy Star certified dehumidifier is fit to quickly and effectively absorb moisture with minimal energy consumption in medium to large rooms
- DESIGNED WITH YOU IN MIND - We designed the Moisture Maniac with convenience and style in mind. This dehumidifier sports a sleek, clean look with convenient built-in wheels and handles as well as a quiet fan that will do its job without you hearing it
- REAL EASY TO USE - It's a dehumidifier, not a rocket ship and our design reflects that. Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, where it'll then shut-off automatically. For added convenience, there’s also a drain hose outlet for continuous draining (NOTE: hose not included)
- Eliminates Moistness - Our portable dehumidifier features a Turbo mode that increases fan speed for maximum moisture removal. This product effectively reduces humidity and maintains a level of dryer air that can help you feel more comfortable.
- Important Info - Dehumidifiers emit heat when in use (that’s how they work) and is intended for any indoor space up to 1500 SQ FT. It measures 16.1 x 10.4 x 19.9 inches, has a 3 liter (0.8 gallons) water tank capacity, and removes up to 3 gallons (22 pints) of moisture from the air per day
So there you have it, 17 must-have items that you should stock up on during this pandemic and for the others that might come in the future. (Hey, it never hurts to be prepared.) We wish everyone well and hope that this list will see you and yours through these dark days. Wash your hands, stay home and together, as one nation, we’ll all get through this.