Finding the best solar generator for off-grid living makes all the difference between enjoying life unplugged from the world and loathing every second of it, especially if you are on the move and need a reliable renewable energy source.
A renewable electricity source is required for camping, van-living, and off-grid homes. Each requires a suitable solar generator that caters to your needs while considering portability, electricity generation capacity, energy storage capacity, and discharge dynamics.
This article compiles a list of reliable solar generators for off-grid living in an RV, off-grid home, and even when camping outdoors.
1. Goal Zero Yeti 6000X Portable Power Station
Since establishing its portable power station product line over a decade ago, Goal Zero has successfully launched several power stations for the off-grid market and has even won an award for its innovations.
The Goal Zero 6000X portable power station is a power horse, given its 6,071 watt-hours capacity, which is enough to power a whole house with a sizable load of electronics and electrical appliances.
The generator comes with seven versatile power ports capable of serving different consumer devices and means, including a USB-C port, multiple USB-A ports, two 120-volt AC ports, and regulated 12-volt ports.
The downside to the generator is that it doesn’t come with a solar panel. You’ll have to buy them separately, which can be challenging because not all solar panels are compatible.
As a consolation, you can recharge the Yeti 6000X in three ways—for 12 hours through a 600-watt wall outlet, from your car using a 12-volt adapter, or using solar panels bought separately.
The Yeti 6000X is an excellent choice for off-grid living where vast amounts of renewable electricity are required, such as for powering an entire house. But you could also use it on the move since it has wheels for easy portability.
2. Bluetti AC200Max Portable Power Station
- [Powerful Beast] - AC200MAX power station comes with amazing 2048Wh LFP cells and a 2200W inverter, making it a safe and reliable power center on the way or off-the-grid.
- [Expandable Capacity] - AC200MAX supports 2 BLUETTI B300(3072Wh) for a whopping 8192Wh or 2 B230(2048Wh) for 6144Wh, enough to juice up all hungry devices.
- [Super Fast Charging] - AC200MAX takes up to 900W solar and can get 400W from the AC input. Dual charging by both, you can feed it up in less than 2 hours.
- [16 Ports for EVERY NEED] - The NEMA TT-30 and 12V/30A DC port are perfect for RV dwellers. Besides AC/USB-A/Car port/100W PD, the wireless chargers allow you to charge compatible devices wirelessly.
- [What You Get] - BLUETTI AC200MAX portable power station, 400W AC adapter, solar/car charging cable, XT90-aviation cable, user manual, 24-month warranty, and friendly local customer service.
At 2200 watts, 120 volts, and 2048 watt-hours capacity, the Bluetti AC200Max is a reliable power source for living off the grid.
The AC200Max comes with 16 ports, including DC and AC ports, USB-A ports, and a car port. It also features wireless chargers for charging compatible devices wirelessly.
Besides being a fast-charging station, the Bluetti AC200Max leaves a mark as an expandable power generator with up to 8192 watt-hours with two Bluetti 3072 watt-hour panels or up to 6144 watt-hours with two Bluetti 2048 watt-hour panels.
3. Ecoflow Delta Pro Portable Power Station
- [Huge Expandable Ecosystem] - Home battery that can expand capacity from 3.6kWh-25kWh with Extra Batteries, EcoFlow Smart Generators & the Smart Home Panel for backup power.
- [Plug&Play Home Backup Power]- Starting from one unit, power your essential appliances with 3600W and 120V output by directly connecting one DELTA Pro with your home's power inlet box when a blackout hits.
- [Unparalleled 3600W Output] - A power generator for your appliances during a blackout. Power up 4500W devices with X-Boost. Enough for heaters or window AC units.
- [5 Ways to Charge] - Pick from EV station charging, solar, wall outlets, using the Smart Outdoor Generator or via a car outlet. Combine methods to reach 6500W (with an extra battery). Faster than any other solar generator.
- [Portable RV Power] - Bid farewell to noisy, fume-filled gas generators and relish peaceful, green, maintenance-free power wherever your RV adventures take you. Charge your RV essentials, or plug into a shore power outlet to directly power your RV's electrical system. Please note that shore power cable are not included.
Like the Bluetti AC200Max, the EF Ecoflow Delta Pro is a handy expandable solar power generator ideal for outdoor camping, RVing, and home use.
The Delta Pro has a capacity of 3600 watts and 120 volts. You can expand its capacity using extra batteries to provide more power as the need arises.
Although it doesn’t come with its own solar panels, the Delta Pro is unique as it allows up to five different charging methods. You can charge it using solar panels bought separately, through wall outlets, and even with a car outlet.
4. Wagan Solar e Power Cube 1500 Plus
Unlike most other solar generators that require buying solar panels separately, the Wagan e Power Cube has its own onboard solar panels. This makes it a plug-and-play utility with no required assembly, saving you time.
You can charge the generator using its five attached solar panels or the included car DC and home AC adapters. Additional batteries and solar panels bought separately will be ideal for increased power capacity.
The Wagan 1500 Plus Power Cube is suitable for light-load applications like camping and tailgating.
5. Renogy Lycan 5000 Portable Power Station
- 【Powerful Output】 The 4800Wh power station LYCAN with a rated output of 120V can easily power the most heavy-duty home and outdoor appliances with a continuous power output of 3500W and peak power of up to 7000W.
- 【Seamless Expansion】 This backup battery LYCAN can be easily expanded to up to 19.2kWh(with Renogy 48V 50Ah LiFePO4 Smart Lithium), covering most home applications from short-term blackouts to power independence.
- 【Fast Charging 1.3 hours】 The Renogy 3500W solar generator LYCAN can be fully charged in 1.3 hours (1 hour from 0%-80%) when connecting to both solar panels and AC outlets simultaneous.
- 【Built-In Protection】 This expandable emergency power system LYCAN advanced pure sine wave technology provides quality AC equivalent to grid power which will protect your electronics and appliances. Built-in multiple safety protection devices to ensure safe operation.
- 【Reliable Warranty】 5 Year Prorated Warranty for the built-in 48V 50Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery and 3 Year Material and Workmanship Warranty for Enclosure.
A solar generator with a power output capacity of 120 volts, 4800 watt-hours, 3500 watts continuous usage power, and up to 7000 watts in peak power is certainly desirable.
The capacity of the Renogy Lycan 5000 is also expandable using Renogy lithium-ion batteries purchased separately to provide more power for full-fledged off-grid homes.
Moving the generator around the house is easy using the attached wheels, but you must consider the location and connectivity of the solar panels, which you’ll need to purchase separately.
6. Jackery Explorer 1000
- Clean and Unlimited Solar Energy: 100% green energy with smart MPPT controller for optimal charging efficiency. The power station can be fully charged with 2 Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panels within 6 hrs or only 5.5 hrs via AC wall outlet charging. Ideal for your camping or family emergency storage.
- Easy to Use in Seconds: Just one simple touch to finish setup within 60s to enjoy outstanding charging efficiency.
- Safe & Reliable for Outdoor Camping: Features industry-leading cylindrical batteries (popular with manufacturers of Electric Vehicles) that meet UL safety standards. Certified with Impact-Resistance Class 9, passing the UL drop test (withstanding 3 drops from 0.9m height on any surface). The pure sine wave inverter delivers constant voltage that protects equipment from damage.
- Power Pretty Much Anything: Power 90% home appliances with 1002Wh (1000W AC output power) and 8 outlets (3*AC outlet, 1*USB-A , 1*USB-A quick charge 3.0, 2*USB-C PD, 1*Car outlet). Ideal for outdoor off-grid activities and home backup power to power refrigerator, TV, mini cooler, electric grill, fan, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
- Quiet & Strong: At such a large capacity, this Explorer will leave you with VERY LITTLE to NO noise, giving you the peace and power all at once. Extra bonus for the built - unlike most other portable generators, this supports pass-through charging while its battery life is protected.
If you plan on an off-grid life outdoors in RVs or camping sites, the Jackery Explorer 1000 is a good bet. It has only three power outlets, but it makes up for this with a reliable lithium battery pack and two 100-watt solar panels.
The portable generator is ideal for lightweight power for lighting bulbs and running small appliances like a coffee maker or a portable refrigerator.
7. Geneverse Solar Generator
- The Most Reliable Emergency Power Supply: Industry-leading safety and reliability designed with electric-vehicle-grade battery cells. Every unit undergoes 52 reliability and safety tests and is covered by a 5-year limited warranty.
- Long-Lasting Capacity: Each portal power station has 1,002Wh (278,400mAh). Offers up to 7 days of power supply to your crucial devices and home appliances on a single charge.
- Powerful Output: 3 AC outlets with the pure-sine wave, supporting 1000W rated power and 2000W surge power at 110V.
- Wide-Range Compatibility: 2 USB-C outputs with PD 18W, 1 USB-A with 5V/2.4A, 1 USB-A with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, and 1 car outlet with 12V/10A.
- Easy Recharge with Solar Power: Recharge from your car, AC outlet, or with the SolarPower ONE solar panel power generator. 30-second Hassle-Free Setup: Portable, light-weight foldable design with an adjustable kickstand. It takes 30 seconds or less to set up and is ready to provide eco-friendly power supply in any emergency situation.
The Geneverse 1000-2000 watt solar generator can offer up to seven days of lightweight power supply to small home appliances and devices on a single charge, making it an ideal backup power system.
The portable solar generator features three power outlets, USB-A and USB-C ports, and a 12-volt car port. You can charge it in three ways: using its solar panel, a wall AC outlet, or your car outlet.
What Size Solar Generator Do You Need For Off-Grid Living?
There’s no way to easily tell the size of the off-grid generator you’ll need for a comfortable life off the grid without first estimating how much electricity you’ll need.
The required amount of electricity will vary from one use case to another, depending on the type of off-grid life you lead, the appliances you use, and the duration for which you need a power supply.
A full-fledged off-grid home will require more electricity than a camping RV or a temporary camping site in the woods. Homes have more appliances that use more electrical energy and may also need to maintain longer hours of lighting.
To determine the size of the solar generator you’ll need, you must first estimate how much power you’ll need. You can obtain this number by checking the wattage of each device you’ll use and adding up the wattages. The off-grid generator’s wattage should exceed the number you get from your calculation.