Last Updated on December 19, 2022 by admin_hunter
Most of us carry a pen as part of our everyday carry (EDC). However, a tactical pen may be more ideal instead of carrying a regular pen.
Not only can you write with it, but you can also use it for self defense. Due to their low profile, you can bring your tactical pen almost anywhere.
Below is a review of the 15 best tactical pen options for EDC on Amazon and a buying guide for tips on choosing the right one.
15 Best Tactical EDC Pen Options
1. Best Overall Tactical Pen: Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen
- Materials: Machined steel body with Cerakote
- Features: Integrated glass breaker, tempered steel
The Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen is made rugged and durable with a machined steel body. It utilized ‘Rite in the Rain’ ink, meaning it will write in all conditions, indoors and outdoors, whether dry or wet.
A reliable tactical push button on the pen deploys the ballpoint mechanism. It is equipped with a glass breaker or self defense tip, so you can break a windshield or defend yourself when necessary.
Since it is covered in Cerakote, you will find you will have a much more confident grip on this tactical pen, and it is durable enough to stand up, even in the call of duty.
With the Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen, you also receive the Gerber Guarantee. Gerber gear products are built to last and endure the test of time. It is backed by a limited lifetime warranty in North America.
The overall length of the tactical pen is 5.59 inches, and it weighs approximately 2.4 ounces. The stainless steel pocket clip keeps the pen handy and easily accessible at all times.
- Lightweight and durable
- High-quality craftsmanship that is built to last
- Glass breaker and self defense tip for emergencies
- Can write in wet and dry conditions
- Rugged American steel design
- Pocket clip doesn’t clip as tightly as others and may cause the pen to slip out
- Glass breaker may snag on clothing
2. Best Military Grade Tactical Pen for EDC: KEPEAK Military Tactical Pen
- Materials: stainless steel, tungsten steel, and black aluminum
- Features: pen, glass breaker, clip
This powerful and sophisticated tactical pen can be used as an EDC. It is a professional military self defense pen that is combat ready. It comes with an emergency glass breaker feature. The glass breaker is a tungsten steel tip fitted on the pen cap’s end.
The body of the pen assumes an aerodynamic design. It is made of aerospace black aluminum, which makes it light yet strong. The lower part of the frame has a round nib that offers a comfortable writing experience.
The handle’s thread design offers excellent slip resistance. The tactical pen comes with six tactical refills made of stainless steel. The refills contain black ink. This EDC pen is easy to disassemble and assemble when replacing the refills. It also has a hollow clip for securing your pen.
- High-quality build
- Lightweight and well balanced
- Comfortable, non-slip grip
- Writes well
- Sturdy and strong
- Comes with 6 ink refills
- Both ends of the pen are sharp, so you cannot place your thumb over it
3. Best Multifunctional Tactical Pen: Ispandy Store Multitool Pen
- Materials: Aluminum and tungsten steel
- Features: Ballpoint pen, whistle, window glass breaker, credit card tool, flashlight, pocket tool, wire saw, and pocket clip
The Ispandy tactical pen is quite versatile. It has a wide range of features, including a ballpoint pen, whistle, window glass breaker, credit card tool, flashlight, pocket tool, wire saw, and pocket clip.
It has a heavy-duty, rugged build for durability and sturdy handling. It is made of aircraft aluminum which keeps it super lightweight. It has a stainless-steel pocket clip for securing it on your shirt pocket, backpack, or notebook.
The flashlight feature has three operating options: strobe, very bright, and SOS distress signal. The flashlight is powered by a battery that can last up to 200 hours. The pen comes with three batteries installed in the pen and two spare ones in the box.
As a pen, it offers a comfortable writing touch. It comes with three ink refills. The glass breaker feature is a sturdy and sharp tungsten steel tip. It also has a survival whistle designed for excellent airflow for use in all types of weather.
This tactical pen also comes with a 46-in-1 Wallet tool that can serve as a bottle opener, screwdriver, phone holder, fruit peeler, bicycle spoke key, nail puller, wire cutter, blade, earphone holder, etc.
The pocket wire saw is a welcome feature for most outdoor lovers. It is lightweight, flexible, small, and easy to carry with a 3.5cm diameter ring and a 70cm long saw. It can be used for cutting plastic, wood, or rubber.
- High-quality build
- Durable and strong
- Writes smoothly
- Bright flashlight
- Comes with extra batteries and ink refill
- Great gift option for men
- Some people find it too bulky
- Not suitable for women
4. The Most Versatile Tactical Pen: Fisher Space Pen Clutch Space Pen
- Materials: Black anodized aluminum
- Features: Pocket clip, hexagonal finger grip
The Fisher Space Pen is one of the more versatile options on our list because it works well in almost any extreme conditions, including freezing cold and scorching heat, including -30 to 250° F.
You can also write with this pen at any angle or location, whether upside down, underwater or in other wet conditions, or through grease.
Each ink refill for the Fisher Space Pen is hermetically sealed and pressurized with nitrogen gas. They also feature a tungsten carbide ballpoint tip. This is the same metal that is used to make armor-piercing ammunition.
Originally designed for oil fields, the Fisher Space Pen is the ideal pen for various harsh conditions. The hexagonal finger grip ensures that you maintain a firm grasp on the pen at all times, despite these conditions. It is even easy to hold when wearing thick gloves.
The black anodized aluminum makes this tactical pen durable and lightweight. The strong pocket clip of this practical, tactical pen ensures it remains secure but within easy reach and completely accessible whenever you need it.
- Works in a variety of extreme hot and cold conditions
- Can use it to write upside down or at any angle, no longer having to rely on gravity
- Provides a solid, firm grip at all times
- Rugged, durable, and built to last
- Very ergonomic
- Internal components are made from plastic and cannot be repaired if they break
- A little on the pricey side compared to other models
- Materials: Aluminum, tungsten steel, and stainless steel
- Features: Ballpoint, glass breaker, pocket clip, flashlight, and bottle opener
This Atomic Bear tactical pen is yet another multi-tool, self defense pen. It combines various EDC tools such as ballpoint, glass breaker, flashlight, and bottle opener. It is suitable for use by both men and women.
The manufacturer provides a free online self defense class and a limited lifetime warranty on the tactical pen.
It is built to last while being easy to use. It is made of aircraft-grade aluminum that offers strength and maneuverability in different self defense situations.
Its lightweight enables for a smooth operation even by women. It has a steel pocket clip that allows you to secure it to your belt, pocket, purse, or Molle system. The manufacturer provides three black ink refills.
Its 130-lumen flashlight offers adequate light even in dark conditions. The flashlight of the Atomic Bear Tactical Pen has two power modes: strobe and high beam.
It comes with 12 batteries for four full battery cycles. The glass breaker is made of tungsten steel to ensure that you can easily break through glass.
- Wide range of features
- High-quality build
- Does not have a low-profile design
- Materials: Aircraft aluminum
- Features: Pocket clip, screw off top, finger grooves
This Smith and Wesson Tactical Pen is a great choice for outdoor, survival, camping, and everyday carry. Its overall length is 5.8 inches, and its weight is just 1.4 ounces. It is extremely durable since it is made with reliable aircraft aluminum materials.
A Wesson military pen is also very dependable. It has a strong pocket clip that makes the tactical pen easily accessible, so it can perform when needed.
The Smith and Wesson Tactical Pen also features a self-defense end, a comfortable grip, and a screw off cap. It also has a stealthy appearance but blends in as it performs.
- Pocket clip keeps it accessible and allows easy transport
- Self-defense end can take down an attacker
- Comfortable and ergonomic grip
- Point at the end does not work as a glass breaker
- Made of aluminum and not steel
- Materials: CNC machined T6 aluminum
- Features: Screw off top, pocket clip, refillable
The Schrade SCPENBK Tactical Pen is another dependable and durable pen ideal for everyday carry. It is 5.7 inches in length and has a weight of approximately 1.4 ounces. The pen is made from a reliable CNC machined T6 aluminum, keeping it lightweight and easy to carry.
You have easy and quick access with the convenient pocket clip and screw off top of this Schrade tactical pen. The screw off top reveals a ballpoint pen tip on one end and a glass breaker and security tip on the other. The security end of this tactical pen can be used as a striking tool for self defense.
This EDC tactical pen will perform when needed while blending in as a regular pen when not in use. You can refill the Schrade tactical pen with Schmidt P900 Parker-style ballpoint cartridges.
- Convenient for everyday carry and lightweight
- Can be refilled
- Great to have for self-defense
- Convenient size
- Doesn’t look like a tactical pen, so it blends in easily
- Some reported it isn’t that comfortable for writing
- Cap doesn’t fit on the end of the pen when it is removed
- Materials: Aircraft aluminum with carbide tip
- Features: Glass breaker tip, pocket clip, refillable
The UZI Tactical Pen is considered a multi-purpose survival gadget. It has a smooth ballpoint pen end for writing and a carbide glass breaker tip on the other end that can be used as a window breaker or self defense tool.
This defender tactical pen can be refilled with standard and Fisher Space pen refills. It is made from a lightweight aircraft grade aluminum material. It is 5.90 inches in length and weighs 1.40 ounces.
This tac pen would be a great addition to any tactical gear and outdoor gear for outings and everyday carry, and it blends in and looks like a normal pen.
- Looks like an ordinary pen, so it blends in well
- Carbide tip works as a self defense tool or as a glass breaker in an emergency
- Dependable, convenient, easy to carry
- Comfortable finger grooves provide an ergonomic grip and reduce slippage
- Feels heavier to carry than other tac pen options
- Bulky to write with
- Materials: Brass and tungsten
- Features: Bolt action ballpoint pen and pocket clip
This bolt action EDC tactical pen is designed for writing even in public and serves as a self defense backup tool. The exterior is brass with a stainless-steel pen clip, while the tactical tip is tungsten.
Its weight is well balanced for efficiency whether you are using it for writing or self defense. The barrel is well buffed with a six-edge design to prevent skipping or blotching when handling it.
The pen comes pre-installed with a PilotG2 gel ink refill. This pen can also serve as a fidget gadget to reduce stress and anxiety due to its smooth bolt action.
- Well-balanced design
- Non-skip barrel
- Unique brass design
- Heavier than the standard pens
- Materials: Aluminum and tungsten
- Features: Ballpoint pen, pocket clip, glass breaker, touch screen stylus
This pen is sturdy and light. It is made of aircraft-grade aluminum for convenient everyday carry. The ballpoint pen offers a smooth and even ink flow for a great writing experience. It comes pre-installed with parker-type refills.
On the rear end of the pen is a tip made of hard tungsten. The sharp tip serves as a glass breaker and self defense tool. Unlike most tactical and regular pens, the pocket clip is fitted directly onto the pen’s barrel instead of the clip.
One of the most outstanding features of this pen is its cap with a touchscreen stylus. The touchscreen stylus is made of durable mesh. To fit the cap on the pen, rotate it clockwise until it clicks in place. The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on this pen.
- Sturdy and lightweight build
- Comes with 2 extra ink refills
- Versatile and multifunctional
- Shorter than most tactical pens
- Materials: Aluminum and Stainless steel
- Features: Ballpoint pen, LED flashlight, stylus top, standard and metric ruler, bottle opener, bubble leveler, flathead, and Phillips screwdriver bits functions.
The Lytool multi-tool pen set comes as a pack of 2. The ballpoint pens have numerous features, including an LED flashlight, stylus top, standard and metric ruler, bottle opener, bubble leveler, flathead, and Phillips head screwdriver bits functions. Aside from being a self defense tool, the pens are also survival tools.
The ballpoint pens offer a smooth writing experience. The handle has a threaded design for an anti-slip grip. The LED tactical flashlight offers a bright, clear beam suitable for reading menus and maps and lighting narrow spaces. The tactical flashlight is powered by L736C cell batteries.
- Versatile and multifunctional
- Writes smoothly
- Great price for a pack of two
- Suitable as a gift
- People with arthritis find it difficult to assemble and disassemble these pens
- Materials: Anodized aluminum
- Features: Ballpoint pen, pocket clip, glass breaker, pressurized ink cartridge
The CRKT Williams Tactical Pen design incorporates the Fisher patented pressurized ink cartridge technology for smooth ink flow at any angle and temperature. This tactical pen has a cap whose top is chisel-pointed to serve as a glass breaker.
It also has a clip so that you can easily secure it to your pocket or bag. The manufacturer offers a one-year warranty on this pen against defects in material or manufacturing.
- Low profile design
- Durable build
- Ergonomic handling
- Writes smoothly
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty
- The glass breaker tip is not readily accessible
- Materials: Titanium
- Features: Ballpoint pen, clip, and glass breaker
This survival pen has a rugged and durable, low-profile design. Its barrel is made of CNC-machined titanium for high-quality strength. The material also makes the penlight for portability.
The beveled edge works effectively as a glass breaker and a defense tool in an emergency. A rubber stylus tip covers the glass breaker.
It writes smoothly and comes with a ballpoint ink cartridge. It is packaged in a luxury leather pouch, making it presentable as a gift. It is suitable for use by both men and women.
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Discreet design
- Suitable for use by both men and women
- The window breaker is covered, which reduces its impact
- Materials: Aluminum
- Features: LED flashlight, glass breaker, two screwdrivers, whistle, pocket clip, and a rope safety cutter
This survival pen has an LED flashlight, glass breaker, two screwdrivers, a whistle, pocket clip, and a rope safety cutter. It is made of aircraft-grade aluminum for a sturdy and lightweight build. The manufacturer offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- High quality
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Some people find it too lightweight
- Materials: Anodized aluminum
- Features: Bolt action design, window breaker, pocket clip
The Nitecore Bolt Action Tactical Pen has a unique pen design that features a three-position bolt action design that allows you to pop out the tungsten tip for glass breaking or the pen tip for writing. You can retract both for convenient everyday carry.
The window breaker is made from tungsten steel and has a tapered tip that can easily smash windows or glass in an emergency. Since it is constructed from lightweight aluminum material, it is easy to carry but also maintains its durability and ruggedness. It is resistant to impact and corrosion.
This Nitecore Bolt Action Tactical Pen is 5.5 inches in length and weighs only 0.7 ounces, making it one of the lighter weight options on our tactical pen review. It allows for high-quality writing due to the premium German-grade gel ink refills and stainless steel pen tip for smooth writing.
The ink is quick-drying, waterproof, and fade-resistant even in the harshest weather conditions.
- Has a low profile, sleek, and durable design
- Made with high-quality materials that are built to last
- Impact and corrosion resistant
- Can write in almost any condition, so you are always prepared
- Three position system lets you choose which mode you need
- Pocket clip ensures easy and quick accessibility
- Click mechanism may get a bit gummed up at times
- Bolt action mechanism isn’t as smooth as expected
Buying Guide: Features to Look Out for in a Tactical Pen
There is a wide range of tactical pens to choose from on Amazon. As such, it can be confusing to settle down for one. Below is a look at the various factors to consider to help you choose the right tactical pen according to your needs.
Unlike regular pens made of cheap plastic, tactical pens are usually made of metal. Aluminum and Titanium are the most commonly used materials for making tactical pens, but you may come across some made from brass or steel.
Both titanium and aluminum are sturdy and tough but also light. This means that a tactical pen made using these materials is easy to write with and portable. It is also weather-resistant and can withstand force if you use it to strike something.
Steel tactical pens are heavier and sturdier. Although they impact a significant amount of force, they are more difficult to write with and are likely to cause hand fatigue. Also, steel is prone to rust if exposed to weather elements such as rain, humidity, and snow.
Comparatively, aluminum tactical pens outlive steel ones. As such, they are more expensive than steel pens.
Quality of the Pen
Primarily, a tactical Pen is a self defense tool first and a pen second. Even so, it is important that the pen rights properly. Most tactical pens have an ink cartridge with refill capability.
However, do not expect the pen to write as smoothly as a fountain pen, but it should get the basic writing done without pain.
Different manufacturers incorporate different features in their tactical pens, including a glass breaker, flashlight, handcuff key, DNA catcher, fire starter, and knife.
The glass breaker feature is usually a spiked tip on the other end strong enough to break a glass or window. The glass breaker feature is only effective on tempered glass, not laminate glass.
Some tactical pens have a flashlight functionality that serves as a backup light in your everyday life. Note that the flashlight is not very powerful as the regular one.
The DNA catcher is a rough patch incorporated near the striking end and is designed to catch a piece of flesh from the attacker’s skin. This feature makes the pen stand out as a self defense weapon which might be a disadvantage if you want to bring it along discretely like a regular pen.
Handcuff key features may seem far-fetched, but if you think about how easily accessible handcuffs are, it makes sense to have a tactical pen with a handcuff key feature.
The Firestarter feature is especially important for survivalists because that can be used to light a fire. Most tactical pens with this feature have a rod and a striking plate hidden within the pen.
Some tactical pen lids are designed with a whistle such that if someone is approaching you and you are concerned for your safety, you can blow the whistle to distract them or as a call for help.
Aside from being light, the best tactical pens have a clip that makes it easy to carry around without getting lost. The clip secures the pen either on one of the pockets on the clothes you are wearing or on a pocket on your EDC bag.
Most tactical pens have a rugged exterior design that offers a firm, non-slip grip even when handling it with wet hands or in wet weather conditions.
Tactical pens range from as low as less than $10 to over $300 for a military-grade or a police tactical pen. Most tactical pens for EDC range between $10 to $50.
Since you will be carrying your tactical pen around and using it publicly to write, it should have a discreet design. It should not stand out as a weapon or cause the people around you to feel unsafe.
A tactical pen can be a lifesaver both as a self defense tool and a survival tool. There is a wide range of tactical pens to choose from, including those with low-profile and heavy-duty military-grade designs. They also vary according to the features incorporated. Consider the type of tactical pen best suited for your needs and get one.
Tactical Pen FAQs
Can a tactical pen kill?
Ideally, tactical pens are designed to cause injuries and destabilize an attacker. However, depending on how you use it, it can also kill, but it would not be easy.
How do you use a tactical pen for self defense?
Having a tactical pen and knowing how to use it effectively are two different things. In most cases, you will need at least beginner-level self defense skills to impart adequate power and force to your attacker.
According to the tactical pen self defense guide, some of the attacker’s body parts to aim for include the nose, ears, the base of neck, eyes, throat, armpit, solar plexus, ribs, sternum, knuckles, groin, back of the hand, thigh, and knee.
With that said, below is the step-by-step process for using a tactical pen for self defense:
- Hold the pen with an overhand grip with your fingers facing towards you and your thumb resting on the end that is not sharp. Ensure to leave a few inches toward the tip exposed.
- Hold the pen firmly
- Apply force and strategically strike the attacker with the pointed end of the pen. Be as aggressive as possible and strike hard and fast.
- If the opportunity is there, strike repeatedly.
How do you use a tactical pen as a glass breaker?
- Hold the pen with an overhand grip leaving a few inches toward the tip exposed.
- Identify the best place to break the glass, ideally at a corner.
- Hold the pen firmly and strike the glass using the pen’s tip. If possible, wear a glove to protect your hand from cuts by the broken glass.
What are the features of the best tactical pens?
The best tactical pens have the following features:
- Slim design
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Size that fits in your hand
- High-quality build
- Discreet design that is easy to carry around
- Additional features include a DNA catcher, whistle, glass breaker, etc.
Can you bring a tactical pen on a plane?
The TSA does prohibit tactical pens on planes explicitly. However, they prohibit bringing weapons on board. As such, it is at the discretion of the TSA agent whether or not to allow you to bring your tactical pen on the plane.
Therefore, while you might decide to bring the tactical EDC pen with the belief that the TSA agents will not identify it as a weapon, you might be arrested for bringing it on a commercial plane if caught. It is best to contact the TSA via phone, website, or social media pages.