Last Updated on June 12, 2023 by Umar
In a survival situation, finding food can be a challenge.
One question that often arises is whether ants can be consumed for sustenance.
This comprehensive guide will provide you with all the information you need to know about eating ants for survival, so you won’t have to look elsewhere.
Why Eat Ants for Survival?
Ants are a viable food source in survival situations due to their widespread availability and high protein content
They can be found almost everywhere and usually in large colonies, making them an accessible and nutritious option when other food sources are scarce.
Nutritional Benefits of Ants
Ants are rich in protein, which is essential for maintaining muscle mass and providing energy in a survival situation.
They also contain essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that can help support your body’s functions
While ants can be a valuable food source, there are some precautions to consider:
- Avoid aggressive species: Fire ants, for example, have a painful bite that can be dangerous if you are swarmedStick to less aggressive species for consumption.
- Be cautious of strong odors: Ants that emit strong odors may be poisonous or taste extremely badIf you must eat them, make sure to cook them first.
- Cook the ants: Cooking ants can help eliminate any potential toxins or parasites they may carry. It also makes them more palatable and easier to digest.
How to Harvest Ants
Follow these steps to harvest ants for consumption:
- Locate an ant colony: Look for ant hills or nests in the ground, under rocks, or in trees.
- Use a stick or tool: Gently disturb the colony with a stick or tool to encourage the ants to climb onto it.
- Shake the ants into a container: Once the ants are on the stick, shake them into a container for collection.
- Cook the ants: Boil, roast, or fry the ants to kill any potential toxins or parasites and improve their taste.
How to Cook Ants
There are several methods for cooking ants, including:
- Boiling: Place the ants in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to cook them thoroughly.
- Roasting: Spread the ants on a flat surface and roast them over an open flame or in an oven until they are crispy.
- Frying: Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and fry the ants until they are cooked through and crispy.
Historical Accounts of Eating Ants for Survival
There are accounts of individuals surviving on ants in dire situations.
One such story is of a Soviet pilot who was shot down in World War 2 and broke both his legs, which ended up being frostbitten.
He survived by digging up a frozen ant hill and eating the live ants inside, which sustained him until he was rescued
In a survival situation, ants can be a valuable food source due to their widespread availability and high protein content.
By following the safety precautions and harvesting methods outlined in this guide, you can safely consume ants to sustain yourself when other food sources are scarce.
With this comprehensive guide, you now have all the information you need to confidently eat ants for survival.